"The lentil is a beautiful legume. My entire life, I have leaned on lentils as a comfort food and wonderful source of protein, fiber and flavor. And as a chef, lentils are ready to take on any flavor that you impart. Although, I traditionally crave lentils in the winter months, they are a great addition to light summer meals and summer salads, adding satisfaction while still keeping it light. This recipe is perfect for those breezy summer nights. Grab a bowl and head down to the dock. Dip your feet in the cool water and nourish yourself while you enjoy a bowl. I tend to make a batch and keep in in my fridge for the week; adding an egg on top for a great easy meal."
- Chef Gabe Kennedy
- Mixed Lentils - 2 cups
- Onion - 1 1/2 cups minced (1/4 cup reserved for garnish)
- Garlic - 3 cloves minced
- Olive Oil - 1/4 cup
- Vegetable Stock (or water) - 4 cups
- Thyme - 3 sprigs
- Rosemary - 1 sprig
- Star Anise - 1 star
- Salt and Pepper - to taste
- Lemon Juice - 1 each
- Wash and visually inspect the lentils to make sure there is no debris. Add the clean lentils to the pot and stir so all the lentils are coated.
- Add the water, vegetable stock, herbs and spices. If you want to dabble in traditional French cuisine then wrap the herbs in spices in cheesecloth with a bit of twine to make a bouquet garni.
- *SEASON the liquid! Lentils absorb flavor. If the water is not salty or flavorful enough then the lentils will not be either.
- Simmer uncovered for about 20-30 min.
- Taste and season! When ready to serve, top them with onion, some additional olive oil and herbs.
- Keep the lentils in your fridge for the week and enjoy whenever you want to smile. They are that good.