Author: Sylvia Fountaine
Cook Time: 25 mins
Yield: 8 cups
Category: Soup, vegan, gluten free, vegetarian soup
Prep Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
We found this lovely Thai Broccoli soup recipe on Feasting at Home. Made with fresh lemongrass, ginger, chilies, shallots and lime – it has a delicious brightness we all could use in winter, taking us away to warm and far-off places. We put our own spin on it by garnishing with our Mind+Body drops.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 fat shallots, chopped
- 4–5 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped ginger
- 1 medium-sized jalapeño pepper sliced ( ½ jalapeño for mild heat) seeds ok
- 1/4 cup chopped lemongrass
- 4 cups veggie or chicken broth or stock
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 kefir lime leaves (optional)
- 1 pound broccoli, chopped small ( slice tough or large stems small, to cook faster)
- 1 ½ cups potato or sweet potato (optional) diced, see notes
- ½ - 1 13-ounce can coconut milk (liquid and solids) saving a couple of tablespoons for garnish
- 1 teaspoon sugar, or alternative
- a handful of spinach (optional, to enhance color)
- ½ cup cilantro -tender stems OK (divided)
- 2–3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Plant People Mind+Body drops for garnish
Optional: 1-2 teaspoons fish sauce (optional or vegan fish sauce, or add a little more salt to taste).
Garnishes: Crispy shallots, toasted coconut, peanut chili crunch, roasted peanuts, lime zest, mint, cilantro, chili threads, coconut milk, croutons, lime wedges, Plant People Mind+Body drops.
For a thicker soup, feel free to add 1- 1 1/2 cups of diced potato ( or sweet potato) - totally optional.
- Heat oil in a medium, heavy-bottom pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the shallots, sauté 3 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, and jalapeño. Sauté 3 more minutes until the shallot is tender. Add lemongrass, sauté 1-2 more minutes.
- Add the veggie or chicken stock or broth, kefir lime leaves, salt and broccoli and bring to boil – it’s OK if the broccoli isn’t all submerged, it will still steam. SEE NOTES for potato.
- Bring this to a boil, cover, lower heat and gently simmer 10-12 minutes, or until broccoli is fork-tender.
- Once tender, turn the heat off, uncover. At this point, you could add a handful of optional spinach to give the soup a more vibrant green color. Add 1/4 cup cilantro (save the rest for garnish) and blend until very smooth using a submersion blender. Or cool and blend in batches using a regular blender.
- Place the smooth blended soup back in the pot, over low heat.
- Stir in the coconut milk (solids and liquid) – you can start with half a can and add more to taste. Add sugar and stir until warmed through. Do not boil or you will lose the lovely color!
- Add lime juice, and optional fish sauce to taste, or add salt. Find the balance.
- Divide among bowls, garnish with any of the options above.
- Drizzle 5-8 drops of Plant People Mind+Body drops or as desired.
- For a thicker soup add 1- 1 1/2 cups diced sweet potato or potato (simmer with broccoli). If adding the potato, you can cut back on the coconut milk if you like, to lighten things up.
- Crispy Shallots, Kefir lime leaves and Chili threads can all be found at Asian markets– and no, these are not essential, but add a nice touch.
For original recipe and text, please visit
Plant People and its entire website (including this content you are reading) are for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice, prevention of a disease or ailment, nor cure, diagnose or fix any condition. If you have a medical condition, consult with a physician. Speak to a doctor prior to using Plant People products, or trying anything discussed on this site. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. Plant People provides no medical advice - read more about this in our Terms & Conditions.